American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Suited or right for a particular purpose: an opportune place to make camp.
- adj. Occurring at a fitting or advantageous time: an opportune arrival.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Seasonable; timely; well-timed; convenient.
- Conveniently exposed; liable; open.
- To suit; accommodate.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Convenient; ready; hence, seasonable; timely.
- v. obsolete To suit.
- adj. suitable or at a time that is suitable or advantageous especially for a particular purpose
- Latin opportunus, from the phrase: ob portum veniens ("coming towards a port"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French opportun, from Latin opportūnus, from ob portum (veniēns), (coming) toward port : ob, to; see ob- + portum, accusative of portus, harbor. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And sure enough, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, acknowledging that Zelaya's gambit has indeed changed the terms of the debate, issued a statement saying that the time was "opportune" to restore Zelaya to the presidency.”
“Not much of a stargazer, myself, as that type of "opportune" brillance can be blinding.”
“He thinks it so; otherwise, He would not have revealed His Trinitarian Nature until a more 'opportune' time.”
“Programme (UNDP) to familiarise more than 100 incoming MPs on parliamentary conduct, was "opportune", the state-owned Herald noted in its Monday edition.”
“As soon as we got near enough to lend a hand the Turks resigned themselves with a kind of opportune fatalism.”
“That I regarded it as "opportune," not "_à un moment donné_," but in principle and in time of peace is correct.”
“Chou said that he would definitely go public if he was seeing someone, though he would choose the most 'opportune' time to do so.”
“Aside from those "opportune" moments when far-edge or off-screen characters or objects are making sounds, the mix remains focused in the center channel with the two directional music stems used to provide some spread and presence to the score.”
“Gas row 'opportune' for Russia to put pressure on Belarus - Lukashenko”
“The gas dispute with Belarus was "opportune" for Russia to put political pressure on”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘opportune’.
The words on this list SAT regulars that I haven't sorted and grouped yet. It's like my wordy holding pen. get it? holding the pen to write a word? HA! I love how lame my humor is.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Favorite time-related words.
All the words which I encounter during my GRE studies. :)
1999 Â· 2000 Â· 2001 Â· 2002 Â· 2003 Â· 2004 Â· 2005 Â· 2006 Â· 2007 Â· 2008
Words heard in various REM songs that I enjoy and that I think are indicative of the band. Not too literally, of course.
Want an exceptional score on the SAT? Know these words cold. Note...this list is a work in progress. Slow progress.
Looking for tweets for opportune.