from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Affording advantage; beneficial. See Synonyms at beneficial.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Being of advantage; conferring advantage; gainful; profitable; useful; beneficial; as, an advantageous position.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being of advantage; conferring advantage; gainful; profitable; useful; beneficial
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of advantage; furnishing convenience or opportunity to gain benefit; gainful; profitable; useful; beneficial: as, an advantageous position of the troops; trade is advantageous to a nation.
- Synonyms Helpful, serviceable, favorable, remunerative.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. giving an advantage
- adj. appropriate for achieving a particular end; implies a lack of concern for fairness
Anything "advantageous" is an obvious result of selection.
I don't think I'd take that deal, given the many short story opportunities even an author at my level has that pay right now, and package me in advantageous ways.
Strictly speaking, even to talk of adaptations being advantageous is to risk a false sense of teleology.
This makes them comparatively advantageous from a competitive standpoint.
Second, the reason home ice used to be so advantageous is that teams can get their offenses rolling and feed off the crowd.
Again, Lusar was advantageous from a topographical standpoint, being situated near the juncture of several important highways; one leading to China, another to Mongolia, and still another, the great caravan route, leading to
As Ben Smith reported, though the organization had planned to fund a major advertising blitz to help define John McCain in terms advantageous to Democrats, they have yet to accrue the funds to do so.
One suspects that most of these repositories would also be publishers themselves, who would publish on terms advantageous to them i.e., works for hire and/or assignation of copyright to the publisher after the death of the author.
At the most basic level is the unsupported assertion that changing sex after puberty is never socially advantageous, which is the main supporting claim for the validity of transkids.
He thought that what could not easily be attended by pernicious consequences might be esteemed useful, but he could not imagine how an enterprise should be called advantageous in which the evils were certain and the utility doubtful.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.