from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Occurring at a suitable or opportune time; well-timed.
- adj. Archaic Coming too early; premature.
- adv. In time; opportunely.
- adv. Archaic Early; soon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Done at the proper time.
- adj. Happening or appearing at the proper time.
- adv. In good time; early, quickly.
- adv. At the right time; seasonably.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being or occurring in good time; sufficiently early; seasonable.
- adj. Keeping time or measure.
- adv. Early; soon; in good season.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Seasonable; opportune; just in time; in good time.
- Passing, as time.
- Keeping time or measure.
- Early; soon.
- In good time; opportunely.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. done or happening at the appropriate or proper time
- adv. at an opportune time
- adj. before a time limit expires
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The phrase "timely manner" still could mean that they paid interest on their Tiffany card.
In one 2006 referral regarding SAC, NASD urged government regulators to probe what it called "timely trading" by SAC and two other hedge funds in shares of Red Robin Gourmet Burgers Inc.
President Bush today promised to treat each and every proposal from the Iraq Study Group seriously and to act in what he called a timely fashion.
President Bush says the Study Group's report gives a very tough assessment of the situation in Iraq and he says he'll act on it in what he calls a timely fashion.
President Bush immediately declared that he will choose a new nominee in what he called a timely manner.
You remember last week when John Murtha proposed what he called a timely redeployment.
The NCSA said it still plans to pursue a petascale computer in what it called "timely manner" and is working with the National Science Foundation.
Perhaps most timely is a five chapter comparative analysis of anonymity and the law which contrasts the rules in the U.S.,
With all that's happened in Rome over the past few weeks, how timely is your new novel, The Third Secret?
That must make this book one of the rare popular novels to remain timely 50 years after publication.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.