American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Characterized by rapid motion; swift.
- adj. Accomplished or arrived at without delay; prompt. See Synonyms at fast1.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Successful; prosperous.
- Marked by speed of movement; going rapidly; quick; swift; nimble; hasty; rapid: as, a speedy flight.
- Rapidly coming or brought to pass; not deferred or delayed; prompt; ready.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Not dilatory or slow; quick; swift; nimble; hasty; rapid in motion or performance
- adj. accomplished rapidly and without delay
- adj. characterized by speed; moving with or capable of moving with high speed
- From Middle English spedi, from Old English spēdiġ ("having good speed, lucky, prosperous; having means, wealthy, opulent, rich in material wealth; rich in, abounding in, abundant, plenteous, copious; powerful"), from Proto-Germanic *spōdigaz (“successful, hurried”), equivalent to speed + -y. Cognate with Scots spedie ("speedy"), Dutch spoedig ("speedy, swift, rapid, quick"), German sputig, spudig ("industrious, speedy"). (Wiktionary)
“Meanwhile, News International announced Friday that it had set up what it called a "speedy, cost-effective alternative to litigation" that would allow phone-hacking victims to apply for swift out-of-court settlements through a company Web site.”
“Meanwhile, News International announced Friday that it had set up what it called a "speedy, cost-effective alternative to litigation" that would allow phone hacking victims to apply for swift out-of-court settlements through a company Web site.”
“So will we be flying around in speedy solar-powered blimps sometime soon?”
“We have a societal interest in speedy dissemination of research findings, and gene research is cutting edge stuff where we want to keep up.”
“Just out of interest, JB, how experimental and speedy is this?”
“Once again speedy recovery brother xxx on January 9, 2010 at 11: 17 am Lee”
“But the blue box was indeed moving, in short, speedy bursts, frequently changing direction as it glided back and forth across the grotty lino.”
“If our most fervent prayers bring not in speedy and sensible returns, we must not think it strange.”
“With this one, just lose the "speedy" -- the decapitative method already fits that bill.”
“I am not what you would classify as a speedy reader, as I pour over each sentence to help immerse myself in the story as much as possible.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘speedy’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
A complete list of the green cards (adjectives) from the popular word game.
words/names from video games
A list of My Little Pony names from the original (G1) collection. 1982-1992
The ones whose names have nothing to do with their powers, origins, costumes, or smell.
Looking for tweets for speedy.