from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Excessively desirous of acquiring or possessing, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves.
- adj. Wanting to eat or drink more than one can reasonably consume; gluttonous.
- adj. Extremely eager or desirous: greedy for the opportunity to prove their ability.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having greed; consumed by selfish desires.
- adj. Prone to overeat.
- adj. Tending to match as much text as possible.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a keen appetite for food or drink; ravenous; voracious; very hungry; -- followed by of.
- adj. Having a keen desire for anything; vehemently desirous; eager to obtain; avaricious.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having an inordinate desire for food or drink; ravenous; voracious; very hungry.
- Synonyms Insatiate, insatiable, rapacious, gluttonous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (often followed by `for') ardently or excessively desirous
- adj. wanting to eat or drink more than one can reasonably consume
- adj. immoderately desirous of acquiring e.g. wealth
I should suggest that it means not merely "_recipient_, capable of receiving," but, to coin a word, _captatious_, eager or greedy to receive, absorbing; as we say _avidum mare_, or a _greedy gulf_.
Nick Robinson: "I think the word greedy was shouted out"
He's been very, very tough on what he calls the greedy, the CEOs that are making hundreds of millions dollars a year.
The continent's two biggest economies want the rest of the developed world to join them in cracking down on what they call greedy bankers.
When teachers are called greedy and the jobless are called lazy.
Paul: The allegation that Jews are greedy is based on perceptions of cultural values that some believe Jews to possess.
The allegation that Jews are greedy is based on perceptions of cultural values that some believe Jews to possess.
Politicians laud new policy as “reining in greedy corporations” – People BELIEVE it (!?) 6.
Being short-term greedy, betting the farm, and destroying your firm, it turns out, wasn't against the law.
I know when I was a salesperson, I could take advantage of those who were ignorant of the way we on Wall Street work if I wanted to be short-term greedy.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.