from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Extremely hungry; voracious.
- adj. Rapacious; predatory.
- adj. Greedy for gratification: ravenous for power. See Synonyms at voracious.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Very hungry.
- adj. this sense?) Eager for prey or gratification.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Devouring with rapacious eagerness; furiously voracious; hungry even to rage.
- adj. Eager for prey or gratification.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Furiously voracious; hungry even to rage; devouring with rapacious eagerness: as, a ravenous wolf, lion, or vulture; to be ravenous with hunger.
- Greedily eager for gratification; tending to rapacity or voracity: as, ravenous appetite or desire.
- Synonyms Voracious, etc. See rapacious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. devouring or craving food in great quantities
- adj. extremely hungry
Middle English, from Old French ravineux, from raviner, to take by force, from Vulgar Latin *rapīnāre, from Latin rapīna, plunder; see rapine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French ravineus. (Wiktionary)