American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Extremely hungry; voracious.
- adj. Rapacious; predatory.
- adj. Greedy for gratification: ravenous for power. See Synonyms at voracious.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Furiously voracious; hungry even to rage; devouring with rapacious eagerness: as, a ravenous wolf, lion, or vulture; to be ravenous with hunger.
- Greedily eager for gratification; tending to rapacity or voracity: as, ravenous appetite or desire.
- Synonyms Voracious, etc. See rapacious.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Devouring with rapacious eagerness; furiously voracious; hungry even to rage.
- adj. Eager for prey or gratification.
- adj. devouring or craving food in great quantities
- adj. extremely hungry
- From Old French ravineus. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French ravineux, from raviner, to take by force, from Vulgar Latin *rapīnāre, from Latin rapīna, plunder; see rapine. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He’d been hungry himself before, but he’d never understood the term ravenous until he watched her eat.”
“With bass leaving their beds and ravenous from the rigors of spawning, now's the time to cast out a topwater popper and get ready for some explosive action.”
“Or it may be meant of Egypt itself, which had been to Israel a house of bondage and therefore a land of trouble and anguish, and which abounded in ravenous and venomous creatures.”
“Well, sir, after all this had relatively changed, after the Western nations had made their marvellous advances in civilization, they were too apt to exhibit to China only their barbaric side -- that is, their ravenous cupidity backed by their insolent strength.”
“While we're obviously going to go through some growing pains for the next few cycles, I'm optimistic that this kind of ravenous fact-checking will result in greater voluntary transparency and less focus on spin and PR.”
“The word "ravenous" scarcely indicates their condition!”
“Does anyone want to make the odds that they'll end up eating each other in some kind of ravenous feeding frenzy?”
“TAS's website may be familiar with my growing obsession with America's looming disaster due to over-spending, debt and, most importantly, endless entitlement spending currently on auto-pilot, a kind of ravenous beast consuming most of our seed corn now and into the future.”
“Not much-maligned "ravenous" White women snatching successful brothers from the fold.”
“Furred Law-cats, that are a kind of ravenous devils; thus we shall remove all manner of tyranny out of the land.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ravenous’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
words associated with the macabre & horror.
( open list, randomness )
totally fantabulous words
Deep, deep, dark
Words (adjectives and verbs) for physical hunger, thirst - and the fulfillment of.
List of most of the words I've learned
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for ravenous.