from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Informal Acquisitive or greedy.
- adj. Informal Attracting attention; striking: "Many critics charge, however, that these new resources are being used ... to attract viewers, using grabby images and exotic locales” ( Alan Bunce).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. tending to grab especially rudely or needily
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. immoderately desirous of acquiring e.g. wealth
* I have been appropriately called to task by my good friend, astute coach and NPR host, Marty Nemko, for bad mouthing the many entrepreneurs who have made this country great as "grabby" and opportunistic.
(He's less "grabby" than your other uncle, too ...)
The reason is that indium freezes at 23 degrees, just above the point where snow becomes "grabby," as engineer Scott Barbieri says.
I still think it's a good story, but I don't think it's "grabby" enough for a mainstream mag.
He bailed out just a few gates into the slalom Saturday morning, a casualty of "grabby" snow that bedeviled a slew of skiers.
He bailed out just a few gates into the slalom, a casualty of "grabby" snow that bedeviled a slew of skiers.
Some were kind of grabby, and some were just clearly eager to get married so their toilets were cleaned more often, and came across as impatient with this whole dating process (especially since I'm sure they absorbed the cultural message that a woman is flattered by having a perfect stranger want to get you in a white dress quickly).
I tried a set of EXPs about a year ago and didn't care for them because they felt kind of grabby on my fingers.
They all have different characteristics of how "grabby" they are, what they do to transients, tonality, etc.
Perhaps my family is just a bunch or lousey pickers! rubylynda, all perfectly acceptable crab etiquette as far as I am concerned -- just as long as you are not too "grabby"!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.