from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Consuming or eager to consume great amounts of food; ravenous.
- adj. Having or marked by an insatiable appetite for an activity or pursuit; greedy: a voracious reader.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Wanting or devouring great quantities of food.
- adj. Having a great appetite for anything (e.g., a voracious reader).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Greedy in eating; very hungry; eager to devour or swallow; ravenous; gluttonous; edacious; rapacious
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Greedy in eating; eating food in large quantities; marked by voracity; ravenous: as, a voracious man.
- Ready to swallow up: as, a voracious gulf or whirlpool.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. excessively greedy and grasping
- adj. devouring or craving food in great quantities
From Latin vorāx, vorāc-, from vorāre, to swallow, devour.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin vorāx, from vorō ("I devour"). (Wiktionary)