from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Filled with or motivated by zeal; fervent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Full of zeal; ardent, fervent; exhibiting enthusiasm or strong passion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Filled with, or characterized by, zeal; warmly engaged, or ardent, in behalf of an object.
- adj. Filled with religious zeal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Full of or incited by zeal; jealous for the good or the promotion of some person or object; ardent; eager; fervent; devoted.
- Caused by or manifesting zeal; due to earnest devotion; of an ardent character or quality.
- Synonyms Forward, enthusiastic, fervid, keen. See zeal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by active interest and enthusiasm
Tonight, 12 House Republican congressmen outraged by what they call the zealous and unjust sentences, they've sent a letter to President Bush.
Yet in this work he can find no words sufficiently strong to praise what he calls the zealous freedom and Christian earnestness of one of the most offensive canters that the whole range of fiction presents.
When he came nearest to the scientific spirit of his time, in zealous observations of the life of nature, he characteristically concentrated on the sequence of various bird notes at daybreak and the flight of moths as the stars of twilight were kindled.
I respectfully suggest that "cult like behavior" is defined as zealous advocacy that leads to magical thinking and imperviousness to fact, you simply cannot beat a Hillary true-believer.
In addition to his witness to the faith under persecution which encouraged the young to persevere, Fr Jia was known as a zealous and devout pastoral priest.
"I don't know many lawyers in the bankruptcy practice who take the idea of zealous representation of their client as seriously as he does," says Richard Chesley, a Chicago bankruptcy lawyer who has worked with Mr. Lauria on a couple of cases.
As for the claim that they had been over-zealous, that is just rubbish.
The legal profession has taken the notion of zealous representation to mean whatever the client wants.
He was known as a zealous puritan, and had given his sister in marriage to the celebrated Edmund Cartwright the leader of the sect.
-- Why Jehovah in the Word is called zealous, 366.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.