American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. On fire; ablaze.
- adj. Resembling a flame in brilliance, color, or form: flaming autumn leaves.
- adj. Intense; ardent: flaming passions.
- adj. Informal Used as an intensive: a flaming liberal.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of a bright or gaudy color, as bright red or bright orange.
- Same as flamboyant, 2.
- Tending to excite; violent; vehement: as, a flaming harangue.
- adj. On fire with visible flames.
- adj. colloquial Extremely obvious; visibly evident. Typically of a homosexual male.
- adj. UK, colloquial Damned, bloody.
- v. present participle of flame.
- n. Internet slang vitriolic criticism
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Emitting flames; afire; blazing; consuming; illuminating.
- adj. Of the color of flame; high-colored; brilliant; dazzling.
- adj. Ardent; passionate; burning with zeal; irrepressibly earnest.
- adj. very intense
- n. the process of combustion of inflammable materials producing heat and light and (often) smoke
- adj. informal intensifiers
“For what you call your flaming zeal, I do not in the least object to it.”
“He was flaming from the fresh reading of the ripest thought he had expressed, and her verdict stunned him.”
“Came the lightning, before us, behind us, on every side, bathing us in flaming minutes at a time.”
“Yes, Zeus, Socrates and I put the flaming in flaming cheese together.”
“So it must follow that flaming is the new sparkling?”
“In the sunlight, the chrome-steel of the shaft gleamed in flaming splendor.”
“In one doorway, cheeks flaming from the struggle, stood Rita, alert as a fawn and ready to flee.”
“And the contractor woundered why there were things falling out of the sky in flaming pieces, disappearing in the vicinity of the "primary planet for Phobos and Deimos" (the name of the planet is being withheld to protect the guilty), and satellites failing to reach their assigned orbits due to miswiring that prevented separation from the upper stage of the booster!”
“Not disagreed in flaming, you understand, but simply presented an alternative idea.”
“Over the city of the Mercenaries we saw a great captive war-balloon that burst even as we looked at it, and fell in flaming wreckage toward the earth.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘flaming’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
WARNING: VERY EXPLICIT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
funny derogatory names, quotes, phrases.
( open list, randomness, ad hom, ad hominem )
buttfucking quitter, dirty sanchez, donkey punch, falcon punch, assbadger, unicorn turd, assclown, fudgenut, quackery, friggin homo, buttmuncher, jackwagon and 279 more...
Words that were well established before they gained special use in computing systems.
notanotherjazzpoet had a very promising list which appears to have petered out. Yes, tosspots: descriptions of being drunk. Walk five metres on the white line then leave your suggestions right here.
All things light-filled and radiant.
After the school bully breaks your new yo-yo, you can use these words to describe it. All hail the carnage!
expostulations which originated as euphemisms for a stronger, socially unsanctioned, word or expression
By the Pogues, on the LP "Peace and Love." I don't know if it's the stark simplicity of the individual words or the evocative images conjured by their juxtaposition, but I simply love these lyrics....
Looking for tweets for flaming.