from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Engaging in the smoking of tobacco: smoking passengers.
- adj. Designated or reserved for smokers: the smoking section of a restaurant.
- adj. Of or relating to the use of tobacco: corporate smoking policies.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of smoke.
- n. The inhalation of tobacco, or use substances.
- adj. Giving off smoke.
- adj. Sexually attractive, usually referring to a woman.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a. & n. from smoke.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Emitting smoke or steam; hence, brisk or fierce.
- n. The act of emitting smoke.
- n. The act of holding a lighted cigar, cigarette, or pipe in the mouth and drawing in and emitting the smoke: also used in composition with reference to things connected with this practice: as, a smoking-car; a smoking-saloon.
- n. A quizzing; bantering.
- n. The act of spying, suspecting, or ferreting out.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. emitting smoke in great volume
- n. a hot vapor containing fine particles of carbon being produced by combustion
- n. the act of smoking tobacco or other substances
Sorry, no etymologies found.
L: That much about not smoking ... * shows Christus smoking* C: (?) ... about smoking these.
I know that smoking is considered oh so politically incorrect these days, but here’s a novel idea; in the finest traditions of freedom and democracy, why not have ’smoking’ and ‘non smoking’ bars, pubs, and restaurants?
Most of the rest of the nation uses the phrase smoking up.
TAYLOR: Well, I think when the term smoking gun is used, when, it might, in the quote you mentioned from "Newsweek," I was making a technical answer.
The term smoking hot is tossed around alot, but this is one of those rare occassions when it may be exactly the right term.
I dont think his smoking is anyones buisness as he is NOT blowing smoke in anyones face etc. .there are way too many other things to be concerned with ...
I think the smoking is a much bigger threat to her health than cervical cancer.
I WOULD support prominent disclosure on the outside of such places as to whether smoking is allowed or not.
Officials are now focusing their investigation on nine California farms, narrowing their investigation after finding what they called the smoking gun, in this case, a bag of contaminated spinach found in the home of a consumer.
Capitol police says as to now they have found -- they have not found what he calls a smoking letter or any other significant clues.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.