from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process by which air is circulated through or mixed with a substance such as soil or a liquid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Exposure to the free action of the air; airing
- n. A change produced in the blood by exposure to the air in respiration; oxygenation of the blood in respiration; arterialization.
- n. The act or preparation of charging a liquid with carbon dioxide gas to make it effervescent.
- n. the act of charging a liquid with air or oxygen for the purpose of purification.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of airing or of exposing to the action of the air: as, the aëration of soil by plowing, harrowing, etc.
- n. The act or operation of mixing or saturating with a gas, as carbonic-acid gas or common air.
- n. In physiology, the arterialization of the venous blood by respiration in the higher animals, and by corresponding processes in the lower animals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the process of exposing to air (so as to purify)
- n. the act of charging a liquid with a gas making it effervescent
Sorry, no etymologies found.