from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Surgical construction of an artificial excretory opening from the colon.
- n. The opening created by such a surgical procedure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An incision into the colon to allow for drainage.
- n. The opening produced in such incision.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surgery, the establishment of a permanent opening (artificial anus) into some portion of the colon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a surgical operation that creates an opening from the colon to the surface of the body to function as an anus
colon + -stomy. (Wiktionary)