from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of perfusing.
- n. The injection of fluid into a blood vessel in order to reach an organ or tissues, usually to supply nutrients and oxygen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of perfusing
- n. The introduction of a drug or nutrients through the bloodstream in order to reach an internal organ or tissues.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of perfusing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pouring through; a causing to permeate.
- n. In baptism, the act of pouring or sprinkling water over: the opposite of immersion. Occasionally used for the water which has been poured over.
- n. Irrigation of the tissues by the local subcutaneous transfusion of a saline solution.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pumping a liquid into an organ or tissue (especially by way of blood vessels)
However, perfusion is a specialized field working under direct supervision of the surgeon and within well-defined parameters.
"It is difficult for a human provider to replicate the kind of perfusion CVFD has been seeing with the AutoPulse, especially for prolonged periods of time," Davidson commented.
“Reversed arterial perfusion” is used to describe this condition because blood enters the abnormal twin through the umbilical artery (which usually carries blood away from the fetus back to the placenta) and exits through the umbilical vein, which normally carries blood from the placenta to the fetus.
The term “reversed perfusion” is used to describe this scenario because blood enters the acardiac/acephalic twin through reversed flow through its umbilical artery and exits through the umbilical vein, which is opposite to the normal blood supply of the fetus.
Twin reversed arterial perfusion (TRAP) occurs only in the setting of a monochorionic pregnancy and complicates approximately 1 percent of monochorionic twin gestations, with an incidence of 1 in 35,000 births.
Rao H, Wang JJ, Giannetta J, Korczkowski M, Shera D, Avants BB, et al. Altered resting cerebral blood flow in adolescents with in-utero cocaine exposure revealed by perfusion functional magnetic resonance imaging.
Tests such as chest x-rays, computed tomography (CAT) scans and ventilation-perfusion scans can help your doctor understand the anatomy and function of your child's lung problems.
This keeps patients close to waking, even when extractions or other invasive procedures are needed, thus maximizing cardiac output and tissue perfusion and maintaining blood pressure.
The doctor suggests my son have one more perfusion of Dolipran, * but Max tells her he is not in pain ... and would like to go home now.
Title: Bioengineered human vascular networks transplanted into secondary mice reconnect with the host vasculature and re-establish perfusion
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.