from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A constriction or narrowing of a duct or passage; a stricture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An abnormal narrowing or stricture in a blood vessel or other tubular organ.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A narrowing of the opening or hollow of any passage, tube, or orifice. It differs from stricture in being applied especially to diffused rather than localized contractions, and in always indicating an origin organic and not spasmodic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The pathological narrowing of a passage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. abnormal narrowing of a bodily canal or passageway
Greek stenōsis, a narrowing, from stenoun, to narrow, from stenos, narrow.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)