American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of binding or of applying a ligature.
- n. The state of being bound.
- n. Something that binds; a ligature.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tying or binding, or the state of being tied or bound; constriction by a ligature or bond; especially, in surgery, the operation of tying an artery to prevent hemorrhage, as after amputation, etc.
- n. Something that ties, a ligature.
- n. The act of tying, of applying a ligature.
- n. The state of having a ligature, of being tied.
- n. medicine The act of tying off or sealing a blood vessel or fallopian tube during surgery.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of binding, or the state of being bound.
- n. That which binds; bond; connection.
- n. (surgery) tying a duct or blood vessel with a ligature (as to prevent bleeding during surgery)
“The M.D. said “you’ve signed the papers for a tubal ligation, is that still what you want?””
“It's because vasectomy is a brief office procedure performed under local anesthesia, compared to a tubal ligation, which is an intra-abdominal procedure performed under general anesthesia.”
“Traditionally, they've been treated by a surgery called ligation and stripping, in which the veins are tied off to redirect blood, then completely removed.”
“The only one I know of is tubal ligation, which is not reliably reversible.”
“While Texas recently introduced a program to cover medical care for illegal immigrants around the time they give birth, it doesn't pay for tubal ligation, which is frequently performed in the hospital right after a woman delivers a baby.”
“Unlike tubal ligation which is an invasive surgery with anesthesia.”
“I had already undergone major surgery to undo a tubal ligation.”
“Plus more than a few of the women (all it seemed under 20) had also undergone a tubal ligation as several of them already had, had a few children since age 15.”
“It used to cost 500 pesos and you could donate money with the stipulation of it going toward a tubal ligation.”
“The complaint brought by the woman against Slovakia's government centers on the claim that she was sterilized through tubal ligation after giving birth in 2000 to her second child by Caesarian section.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ligation’.
Nouns meaning action of connecting
What happens when you put a (former) English major at a bioinformatics and bioengineering summer institute? A list of wacky bio-words, of course!
Words meaning state of being connected.
Words meaning bond or link (noun).
Nouns meaning a action of connecting or state of being connected
Looking for tweets for ligation.