American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act, process, or result of calculating.
- n. An estimate based on probabilities.
- n. Careful, often cunning estimation and planning of likely outcomes, especially to advance one's own interests.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of calculating; the art, practice, or manner of computing by numbers; reckoning; computation: as, to find a result by calculation; the calculation was a difficult one.
- n. A series of arithmetical processes leading to a certain result.
- n. An estimate formed in the mind by comparing the various circumstances and facts which bear on the matter in hand.
- n. The habit of forming mental estimates; a trait or an element of intellectual character which shows itself in the habit of formulating and revolving schemes in the mind, or forecasting the progress or results of an undertaking.
- n. Synonyms Deliberation, circumspection, wariness, forethought, prudence.
- n. mathematics (uncountable) The act or process of calculating.
- n. mathematics (countable) The result of calculating.
- n. countable Reckoning, estimate.
- n. countable An expectation based on circumstances.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act or process, or the result, of calculating; computation; reckoning, estimate.
- n. An expectation based on circumstances.
- n. problem solving that involves numbers or quantities
- n. the procedure of calculating; determining something by mathematical or logical methods
- n. planning something carefully and intentionally
“I did not say that socialism was a good idea, my comments were about the calculation of allocations issue from the "socialist *calculation* debates".”
“4,745 3,766 2,755 Less preference dividends n/a n/a (28) Net profit attributed to ordinary capital for basic earnings per share calculation 4,745 3,766 2,727 Adjusted net profit attributed to ordinary capital for the diluted earnings per share calculation* 4,745 3,769”
“I admit that this calculation is affected by the fact that I generally produce work slowly, so I don't have a lot of other stories to market and publish, and giving one to a new market is therefore a larger investment than it might be for someone more prolific.”
“Another way of expressing the calculation is the Learned Hand Formula.”
“Using the above information for my office, the calculation is as follows:”
“If my calculation is anywhere near correct (or even in the right ballpark), and we need 1 team to raise up 100 local ministries to reach 100,000 people over the course of 10 years, then Afghanistan requires 216 teams (= about 650 workers) plus 21,000 local home evangelists.”
“The section on the base for the Tenencia calculation is as Esperanza has said Chapter II Article 5 which is in PDF format and I was able to copy it but the formatting was lost:”
“It doesn't matter which one was ancestral – the calculation is the same.”
“The "hamlet" portion this calculation is about is just the yellow.”
“We just called it the German minority, and still we have certain doubts if this calculation is accurate, if it is fair altogether.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘calculation’.
The most frequent words in the titles of mathematical books and journals (www.sciencedirect.com)
nonparametric, nonparametric sta..., multivariate anal..., partial different..., multivariate, topology, stochastic, differential equa..., linear algebra, harmonic analysis, applied mathematics, combinatorial and 205 more...
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Words to describe Neoclassicism
Mathematical metaphors in political discourse
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for calculation.