from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The military science that deals with securing objectives set by strategy, especially the technique of deploying and directing troops, ships, and aircraft in effective maneuvers against an enemy: Tactics is a required course at all military academies.
- n. Maneuvers used against an enemy: Guerrilla tactics were employed during most of the war.
- n. A procedure or set of maneuvers engaged in to achieve an end, an aim, or a goal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The military science that deals with achieving the objectives set by strategy.
- n. Manoeuvres used against an enemy.
- n. Plural form of tactic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science and art of disposing military and naval forces in order for battle, and performing military and naval evolutions. It is divided into grand tactics, or the tactics of battles, and elementary tactics, or the tactics of instruction.
- n. Hence, any system or method of procedure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science or art of disposing military or naval forces in order for battle, and performing military or naval manœuvers or evolutions.
- n. Expedients for effecting a purpose; plan or mode of procedure with reference to advantage or success; used absolutely, artful or skilful devices for gaining an end.
- n. The art of inventing and making machines for throwing missile weapons.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of military science dealing with detailed maneuvers to achieve objectives set by strategy
- n. a plan for attaining a particular goal
Although America all the way back to God is the end game, short term "tactics" involving the Christian right are needed to get there.
President Obama said Syria has followed its ally Iran and sought assistance from Tehran in what he termed the "tactics of suppression."
Have both a long term strategy and short term tactics in mind as you foster your networks and decide who try to influence and what influence you will accept from others.
VANCOUVER - Olympic opponents are threatening legal action if the 2010 security unit doesn't stop what they call tactics of harassment and intimidation.
The Obama regime is using tried and true tactics from the Bush era.
The libs say this is just scare tactics from the GOP and all this stuff the mobs are talking about could never happen.
We had 8 years of scare tactics from the Bush administration.
No more stall tactics from the Republicans or the insurance companies.
By 2012, the economy will be better & the fear will have passed when people see that health-care reform boogie-booo was just scare tactics from the right-wing ...
More scare tactics from the pro-Insurance lobby, anti-American people Republican party.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.