American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An expedient for achieving a goal; a maneuver.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the motions of organisms in relation to external agents; exhibiting taxis.
- Same as tactical.
- n. A tactical system or method; the use or practice of tactics.
- n. A manoeuvre, or action calculated to achieve some end.
- adj. chemistry Describing a polymer whose repeat units are identical
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to military or naval tactics; hence, pertaining to, or characterized by, planning or maneuvering for the short term; -- contrasted with
strategic, planning for the long term.
- n. See tactics.
- n. a plan for attaining a particular goal
- French tactique, tactics, from Greek taktika; see tactics. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Forget the emotional content of this particular bill, this tactic is the most infantile, ridiculous approach a politician could take, and the lizard-brains on the right gobble it up.”
“The prime time for this tactic is after a sunny warm front has baked the surface water for a few days.”
“Among divorcing couples, this tactic is a way to keep one spouse from getting at the asset.”
“The arguing tactic is called "special pleading," and it's a dirty rhetorical trick indeed!”
“The Republican tactic is to raise objections because they never have anything positive to say themselves.”
“Other analysts think Standard Chartered's analysis may be right, though they note that if China has, in fact, cut back on new Treasury purchases, it could be a short-term tactic—and it doesn't necessarily mean China is riding to Europe's rescue or wants to do so.”
“I have a very simple method for determining if a tactic is torture or not.”
“Do you also know that the person in charge of this new PR tactic is none other than Ari Fleischer?”
“Oh, and another typically conservative tactic is to co-opt the most successful movies as paeans to conservative cultural/political concepts.”
“Whatever the rationale, Fox News ongoing witch hunt tactic is a proven loser.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tactic’.
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
favorite sounding words
My big word list.
Words ending in ic, tic or nic.
Very basic words for ESL students.
The Last Good Words Left
i love words.
short, sweet, epic, catchy, sassy, sexy & sizzling.
( personal list, randomness )
Words Baldrick might have used instead.
Looking for tweets for tactic.