from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A crafty stratagem; a subterfuge. See Synonyms at wile.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a trick
- n. guile
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An artifice; trick; stratagem; wile; fraud; deceit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To fall.
- To slide down a declivity with a rustling noise.
- To give way; fall back; retreat; use tricks for the purpose of escaping.
- A Middle English or dialectal form of roose. Cath. Ang.
- n. The use of artifice or trickery; also, a stratagem.
- n. Synonyms Manœuver, Trick, etc. See artifice and stratagem.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a deceptive maneuver (especially to avoid capture)
David Leathley pretended to be Joel Bennathan QC in what he described as a "ruse of war" to prove his accuser was lying.
While this ruse is unfolding, the worm separately uses the victim's machine to fill out a new account application.
After the ruse is revealed, the real people had to sign waivers to be in the ads.
Out of state energy companies are falsely portraying increased environmental protection as a threat to economic prosperity, and their ruse is being expressed in the form of an initiative on the state's November ballot.
It's just another ruse from the Government to make the public feel dependent on them - Labour's client state in a nutshell.
But yes, the 'we've made it simpler!' ruse is a favourite of the banks too.
But the fact that the mom INSTIGATED the MySpace ruse is evidence enough that she has no empathy whatsoever.
The ruse is that since only God knows the human heart, then this group/individual can claim to be Christian.
Now that my ruse is up, I can go back to curling my hair, painting my nails, and doing a whole buncha generically girly things!
The reinterpretation of child's play as a sinister ruse is most pronounced in the story of Adam of Bristol.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.