American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Deception by trickery or sophistry.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Chicane; mean or petty artifices; trickery; sophistry.
- n. Synonyms Quibbling, stratagem, duplicity.
- n. Deception by use of trickery, quibbling, or subterfuge.
- n. countable, law A slick performance by a lawyer.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Mean or unfair artifice to perplex a cause and obscure the truth; stratagem; sharp practice; sophistry.
- n. the use of tricks to deceive someone (usually to extract money from them)
- From French chicanerie ("trickery"), from chicaner. (Wiktionary)
“This kind of chicanery is what gets you thrown in prison if a private business does it.”
“All I notice is that these experts in chicanery are vying for jobs at BP.”
“But the notion that Wall Street somehow has a monopoly on "disastrous chicanery" is laughable, as big corporate scandals from a few years ago -- Tyco, Adelphia, Enron, WorldCom -- make clear.”
“This sort of constitutional chicanery is really not how we ought to conduct our Parliamentary affairs and I am quite sure that we need no lessons in democracy and the parliamentary process from a country like Germany whose democracy is but sixty years old.”
“What deals, games and other chicanery is going on in this leak investigation?”
“As if that chicanery is not horrible enough, now those bringing the truth to the surface, as Carson Fire puts it, are being made to look like “meanies”.”
“After the word chicanery there was a growing noise, half of murmurs and half of hisses, while four persons started up at once -- Mr. Hawley,”
“After the word chicanery there was a growing noise, half of murmurs and half of hisses, while four persons started up at once -- Mr. Hawley, Mr. Toller, Mr. Chichely, and Mr. Hackbutt; but Mr. Hawley's outburst was instantaneous, and left the others behind in silence.”
“This sort of pseudo-religious chicanery is bit’s stock in trade.”
“That added with a few other situations, including what some on my side still call chicanery, ensured the election of George W. Bush.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chicanery’.
you know that thing where the Eskimos have 50 words for snow?
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words and collocations associated with political scandal
An arcade of artifice and deception.
Words with negative connotations
words i need to memorize
U Gotta Know These.......
Looking for tweets for chicanery.