from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of shuffle.
- n. Action of the verb to shuffle.
- n. The noise created by something moving about.
- adj. Of or relating to that which shuffles; tending to shuffle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Moving with a dragging, scraping step.
- adj. Evasive.
- v. In a shuffling manner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Moving clumsily; slovenly.
- Evasive; prevaricating.
- n. The act of one who shuffles, in any sense.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of mixing cards haphazardly
- n. walking with a slow dragging motion without lifting your feet
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The automatic wallpaper shuffling is cool, but I've found choosing a single image to use on the desktop to be problematic.
With junior left tackle Landon Bradley out for the next few weeks due to a broken hand, some shuffling is underway to fill his spot in the starting lineup.
As rare visitors holler his name, a slow shuffling comes from the dirt floor inside.
Nowadays, a lot of trading, swapping and shuffling is going on in the “Twilight” universe, starting with the director of the hit films.
This kind of paper shuffling is the same sort of thing that corporations do to screw over common people all the time.
The motivating factor in all this player shuffling is free agency.
We are not told, but such symptoms as there are do not suggest that any very extensive shuffling is going on.
And then the station – unforgettable – with the sight of the jaunty little train shuffling away and those hideous children waving from the windows.
Debt shuffling is something that feels uncomfortable until you realize that it’s fair and useful.
But if you listen closely, you’ll see losses of well-liked indie books like Manhunter, Catwoman, and Blue Beetle, not to mention the post-Batman R.I.P. and New Krypton title shuffling of the Batman and Superman franchises.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.