American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Showing or practicing caution; careful.
- adj. Tentative or restrained; guarded: felt a cautious optimism that the offer would be accepted.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Possessing or exhibiting caution; attentive to probable effects and consequences of actions with a view to avoid danger or misfortune; prudent; circumspect; wary; watchful: as, a cautious general; a cautious advance.
- With of before the object of caution: wary in regard to the risks of; afraid or heedful of the dangers involved in.
- Over-prudent; timorous; timid.
- Synonyms Prudent, careful, wary, vigilant, heedful, thoughtful, scrupulous.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Attentive to examine probable effects and consequences of acts with a view to avoid danger or misfortune; prudent; circumspect; wary; watchful.
- adj. avoiding excess
- adj. showing careful forethought
- n. people who are fearful and cautious
“Henry watched amazed as Burgess checked that no one else could see them, his expression cautious and watchful.”
“A shrink had once told him to use the word cautious because of the negative connotations associated with the word paranoid, but Rapp had only laughed.”
“We use the term cautious optimism to account for the mix of factors that each of our customers is weighing slightly differently.”
“MCINTYRE: General Richards 'assessment for the future is peppered with a lot of what he calls cautious optimism.”
“Campaign 2000 refers to what it calls "cautious optimism" in describing some provincial efforts to tackle child and family poverty.”
“While Kroger offered what it called cautious full-year earnings guidance below analysts 'expectations, it did not appear to curtail investors' enthusiasm.”
“But "cautious" is the operative word -- especially now that academia is throwing open its doors and welcoming in the barbarians at the gate.”
“Australia's major banks are experiencing record profitability, but their most recent financial progress updates indicate earnings growth is slowing as small businesses remain cautious, hoarding cash rather than risking expansion.”
“Many retailers remain cautious about opening additional stores until the broader economy shows more strength.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cautious’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Quiet, shy, Introverted, reserved, isolated, mysterious
Our class list of adjectives for Henry's Ma.
The present, the future. Goals, wishes, hopes.
There's a fiction meme (mostly on Livejournal) where writers use words as a prompt for a short story snippet. I've been collecting the words that show up on these lists as prompts for creative writ...
about solitude and liking it
this is my list
Looking for tweets for cautious.