from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Inclined or tending to hesitate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Tending to hesitate, wait, or proceed with caution or reservation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not prompt in deciding or acting; hesitating.
- adj. Unready in speech.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Hesitating; pausing; irresolute; not ready in determining, doing, or saying; wanting readiness of speech.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. lacking decisiveness of character; unable to act or decide quickly or firmly
From Latin stem of haesitans, present participle of haesitare ("to stick fast, to hesitate") (Wiktionary)