American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Unwilling or reluctant; disinclined: I am loath to go on such short notice.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Hateful; disliked; detested.
- Feeling extreme unwillingness or aversion; very unwilling; reluctant; averse.
- n. Evil; harm; injury.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. obsolete Hateful; odious; disliked.
- adj. Filled with disgust or aversion; averse; unwilling; reluctant.
- adj. unwillingness to do something contrary to your custom
- adj. (usually followed by `to') strongly opposed
- From loth, from Middle English loth ("disinclined"; "loathsome"), from Old English lāþ ("loathsome", "evil") (Wiktionary)
- Middle English loth, displeasing, loath, from Old English lāth, hateful, loathsome. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“What I loath is the hypocrisy and intolerance of an organized group forcing their brand of “morality” on the rest of us while they are blind to their own failings or worse, see a “Spiritual path” as a means to control and manipulate others for personal gain.”
“If you read Gary Taubes’ book “Good Calories Bad Calories,” you will learn that fat cells filled up by insulin loath to release their contents to the body for fuel.”
“The province is "loath" to change its royalty structure, he added.”
“At what point did I state that I 'loath' the dude?”
“Part of the thing is that some of the jobs that are increasing, for instance, men are kind of loath to get into it.”
“Personally, I'm kind of loath to judge work by the author, more the other way around.”
“Graphic images on the page included a woman with the word "loath" carved into her flesh.”
“I’m sure you know loath rhymes with both, loathe rhymes with hoathe or clothe or mothe, loath is an adjective, loathe is a verb.”
“Tech entrepreneurs often pursue their corporate visions with missionary zeal and are loath to sell company shares, even if it is financially prudent.”
“The Dalai Lama, of course, considers the well-being of some six million Tibetans living in Tibet as the defining issue—but Beijing is loath to discuss this matter.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘loath’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Similar words meaning different things
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A list of words that I stumbled upon while reading.
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Commonly Confused Words
Looking for tweets for loath.