American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of the same kin; related by blood.
- adj. Having a similar quality or character; analogous.
- adj. Linguistics Sharing a common origin or an ancestral form.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of kin. Specifically— Related by blood; hence, intimately allied, as by affinity, union, or structure: as, the two families are near akin; the buffalo is akin to the ox.
- Allied by nature; partaking of the same properties: as, envy and jealousy are near akin; “pity's akin to love,”
- Synonyms Kin, kindred, cognate,analogous.
- adj. of persons Of the same kin; related by blood.
- adj. Allied by nature; similar; partaking of the same properties; of the same kind.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of the same kin; related by blood; -- used of persons.
- adj. Allied by nature; partaking of the same properties; of the same kind.
- adj. similar in quality or character
- adj. related by blood
- Prefix a- ("for, of") + kin (Wiktionary)
“I froze, with an expression akin to Bambi caught in headlights.”
“Beside him, Jaina was looking at him with an expression akin to awe.”
“When I complimented him on the meal in general and on the tasty gravy that had been ladled across our rotelli Bolognese in particular, his face took on an expression akin to the one you see on the faces of new parents when they begin to speak of their child.”
“Mark mentions the sisters without naming them, but early Christian tradition says there were two—a Mary and a Salome Mark 6:3.1 Matthew, who followed Mark as his source, includes the same list, though he spells “Joses,” a nickname akin to the English “Josy,” in its full form “Joseph.””
“The president, with an expression akin to that of a grossed-out kid, said Michelle Obama gave trick-or-treaters bags of fresh fruit and raisins.”
“Maybe Bill just doesn't understand the meaning of the word 'akin?”
“Obama said the rules would ultimately save 1.8 billion barrels of oil, which he called akin to taking 58 million cars off the road for a year.”
“The demure popstar, whose single featuring rapper Snoop Dogg currently sits atop of the singles chart, went on to claim that Brand had finally given up on his ways which she described as akin to a "professional prostitute.”
“Nothing of substance or intelligence is ever really expected from a summer movie, much less when that movie bears a title akin to a bad porno flick.”
“KUALA LUMPUR: Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah of Selangor broke protocol to steady 84-year-old Malaysian Indian Sundraledchimy Maheswaran as she walked back to her seat after being conferred a title akin to Ladyship.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘akin’.
Words with the prefix "a"
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
I marvel at the amazing variety of four-letter words in the English language. And that's not even counting really common (to me) words like fuck.
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
Daily Vocab List
There are 17576 different sequences of three letters (26 x 26 x 26). How many of them occur in words? General rules of engagement: mononyms only, lower case preferred to upper case, short preferred...
Looking for tweets for akin.