American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Undisturbed by strife, turmoil, or disagreement; tranquil. See Synonyms at calm.
- adj. Inclined or disposed to peace; peaceable.
- adj. Of or characteristic of a condition of peace.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Full of, possessing, or enjoying peace; not in a state of war, commotion, or disquiet; quiet; undisturbed: as, a peaceful time; a peaceful country.
- Pacific; mild; calm: as, a peaceful temper.
- Synonyms Peaceable, etc. (see pacific), tranquil, serene.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Possessing or enjoying peace; not disturbed by war, tumult, agitation, anxiety, or commotion; quiet; tranquil.
- adj. Not disposed or tending to war, tumult or agitation; pacific; mild; calm; peaceable.
- adj. not disturbed by strife or turmoil or war
- adj. peacefully resistant in response to injustice
- peace + -ful (Wiktionary)
“WHEN the French Communists were raising Cain in Europe they doubtless thought their idea was practically new, but thousands of years before they bore the red banner through the streets of Paris the American Indians were living quiet and peaceful communal lives on this continent; when I use the words _quiet_ and _peaceful_, I, of course, mean as regards their own particular commune and not taking into account their attitude toward their neighbors.”
“Egypt has been upended, and I smile at the phrase "peaceful mob" as an oxymoron; all mobs contain an element of spitefulness and personal score-settling.”
“It also presents a dilemma for the Dalai Lama, as Tibetan Buddhism doesn't permit suicide, and he doesn't condone violence in what he describes as a peaceful campaign for greater autonomy in his homeland.”
“The timing of Saturday's meeting was particularly sensitive as it came in the midst of the Chinese government's efforts to celebrate the 60th anniversary of what it calls the "peaceful liberation" of Tibet by Communist troops.”
“The former Iranian President Hashemi Rafsanjani, like most Iranian leaders, is standing firm on what they call their peaceful nuclear rights.”
“We stand ready to prepare for any partnership on the nuclear issue and not going to give way to our desire to keep up what he calls a peaceful nuclear program.”
“Given what Australia has said about the need for genuine dialogue between the Chinese authorities and representatives of the Dalai Lama, I guess you'd have to applaud today's appeal from 40 Olympic athletes for what they termed a peaceful resolution to the Tibet question?”
“Since Friday, the workers have held what they called a peaceful occupation of the Republic Windows & Doors plant.”
“For much of his term, Mr. Ahmadinejad has coupled populist economic measures with a fiery foreign policy, asserting Iran's right to pursue what it calls a peaceful nuclear-energy program.”
“The workers have held what they call a peaceful occupation of the Republic windows and doors plant since Friday.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘peaceful’.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
The process of a finding your broken heart and gluing it back together.
Words to describe Neoclassicism
A complete list of the green cards (adjectives) from the popular word game.
If I've seen it, heard it, or marvelled at it, I'll stick it here.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Read this list, and read it well. When you finish, you'll know me better than my mother. That is, unless she reads this list too.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Looking for tweets for peaceful.