American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. In a state of inactivity or rest.
- adj. Dead.
- adj. Botany Dormant. Used especially of spores that germinate after a prolonged period.
- n. The action of rest; repose; inactivity; reliance; confidence.
- n. A place where one can rest; a resting-place.
- n. A pause; a break; an interlude.
- adj. That which rests; that which is not in action or in the process of growth.
- adj. Unemployed.
- adj. Remaining; stationary.
- v. present participle of rest.
GNU Webster's 1913
- a. & n. from rest, v. t. & i.
“A slight scratch here, a growing patch of rust there, a long-forgotten digit and a patch of skin resting together in the middle of nothingness.”
“The resting is good, but I have to guard against laziness.”
“After all of the talk, after all the eggs that had been literally thrown at him, Irving sat jacketless with his elbows on the table, hands folded, and chin resting on his hands -- waiting.”
“In recent years, offshore outsourcing made headlines, again resting on the premise that location does not matter.”
“The scratch of the pink oxford broadcloth of his shirt, the feel of his chin resting on my wig, our hips nearly touching.”
“While changes in resting energy expenditure did not differ between groups, fat oxidation was a tick higher at the end of the study in the capsinoid group.”
“NASA can't cut it anymore; the agency has lost its way, and is mired in resting on its laurels, rather than setting goals for its future, and our country, that is beyond our grasp.”
“In a 24-hour period, they go back to the same type of metabolic baseline you see in resting subjects.”
“I declined, but he bought two anyway and gave one to Sombra, who rewarded him by lying by his desk, her chin resting on his shiny black boot.”
“Following Argentina's second ever Davis Cup final, which it lost to Russia 3-2 in Moscow, Nalbandian raised the possibility of resting from the Davis Cup to give priority to the ATP circuit.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘resting’.
Looking for tweets for resting.