American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Fond of or given to luxury.
- adj. Marked by or contributing to luxury.
- adj. Of a sumptuous, costly, or rich variety. See Synonyms at sensuous.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Luxuriant; exuberant.
- Characterized by indulgence in luxury; given to luxury; voluptuous; indulging freely or excessively in material pleasures or objects of desire: as, a luxurious life; luxurious cities.
- Ministering to luxury; contributing to free or extravagant indulgence.
- A bounding in that which gratifies the senses; exuberant in means of indulgence or enjoyment; affording abundant material pleasure.
- Characterized by lust; libidinous.
- Synonyms Epicurean, self-indulgent, sensual.
- 2–4. Luxurious, Luxuriant. These words are now never synonymous. Luxurious means given to luxury or characterized by luxury : as, luxurious people; a luxurious life; a luxurious table. Luxuriant means exuberant in growth: as, the luxuriant vegetation of the tropics; by figure, a luxuriant style in composition. Luxurious implies blame, except where it is used by hyperbole for that which is exceedingly comfortable, etc.: as, a luxurious bed. Luxuriant does not come enough into the field of the moral for either praise or blame.
- adj. Enjoying pleasures of luxury.
- adj. Being very fine and comfortable.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to luxury; ministering to luxury; supplied with the conditions of luxury
- adj. displaying luxury and furnishing gratification to the senses
- adj. rich and superior in quality
- French luxurieux, from Latin luxuriosus ("rank, luxuriant, profuse, excessive, immoderate"), from luxuria ("rankness, luxury"), from luxus ("extravagance, luxury"). (Wiktionary)
“Re: [grahams] the English word luxurious is close to some vulgarity in Spanish?”
“Shortcut the English word luxurious is close to some vulgarity in Spanish?”
“Re: [esperanza] the English word luxurious is close to some vulgarity in Spanish?”
“MexConnect. com Forums: Specific Focus: Learning Spanish: the English word luxurious is close to some vulgarity in Spanish?”
“Only milk and cookies as these fine Aurorans whiled the night away in luxurious splendor and bliss.”
“French Girl Knits: Innovative Techniques, Romantic Details, and Feminine Designs by Kristeen Griffin-Grimes: Superbly fitted and fashioned in luxurious yarns, these imaginative patterns follow four thematic vignettes inspired by French daily life, film, and history.”
“All the others of her kind, mages who can twist leftover creation energy to their will, were gathered together into Enclaves long ago; and there they live in luxurious confinement, isolated from other humans and exploited for their magic.”
“The decor, while luxurious, is different from that of most yachts, Mr. Kaplan said.”
“His hair billowed out in luxurious, tight strawberry curls, so from a distance he was frequently mistaken for a girl.”
“Peter G., yes, luxurious is exactly the right word.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘luxurious’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
The list begins with evocative words I found in a Bed Bath & Beyond catalog, but other words in a similar vein are welcome, with two simple rules: they must come out of catalogs, and they can't...
Trying to say something nice to a chesterfield? Here are some suggestions:
Words with definitions that have "in hyperbole" or "by hyperbole" in them.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
grabbable, retuiteando, leaving, fantastic, absolutely, kurwa, hella, ridic, underpass, hate, interlude, plush and 2369 more...
A complete list of the green cards (adjectives) from the popular word game.
Commonly Confused Words
words I adore....
The most mellifluous-sounding words.
Looking for tweets for luxurious.