American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Produced or done with effort: the labored breathing of a very ill person.
- adj. Lacking natural ease; strained: a labored style of debating.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Laboriously formed; made or done with laborious pains or care.
- Bearing the marks of constrained or forced effort; not easy, natural, or spontaneous: as, a labored style of composition; a labored painting.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Bearing marks of labor and effort; elaborately wrought; not easy or natural
- adj. appearing to require strong effort.
- adj. requiring or showing effort
- adj. lacking natural ease
“It was important to find out how the noise is made, she explained in labored tones.”
“She paused, descending into some distant, nether reverie, and stared at the fish as if in labored communication with it.”
“Brad DeLong of the University of California, Berkeley, who thinks the Fed should do much more, complained, "The mountain labored and gave birth to a mouse.”
“Dr. Hammond mopped the sweat from his forehead, his round red cheeks heaving in labored breath.”
“He labored from the first pitch on but he did everything he could to keep us in the game," Yost said.”
“Captain Montgomery stared, his mouth open, his breath rasping out in short, labored gasps.”
“Clothahump nodded, his breath coming in short, labored THE DAY OF THE DISSONANCE 3 gasps.”
“Clothahump nodded, his breath coming in short, labored gasps.”
“The plains were behind us, and as the train labored upward into the mountains I lay in my berth watching the stars, which did not seem very far away.”
“As characters swim through the book, Gibson keeps backtracking to fill in labored details like these about her heroine’s bulimic friend, Amber, whose behavior changed while Hunter was convalescing from an illness:”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘labored’.
Use these and get promoted
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
What Abt these ... :)
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
All the words which I encounter during my GRE studies. :)
Looking for tweets for labored.