from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pompous or overly wordy.
- adj. High-sounding but with little meaning.
- adj. Inflated, overfilled.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Characterized by bombast; high-sounding; inflated.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Characterized by bombast; high-sounding; inflated; extravagant.
- Synonyms Swelling, tumid, stilted, pompous, lofty, grandiloquent, high-flown.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. ostentatiously lofty in style
Either from bombast ("padding, stuffing"), or from middle name of Paracelsus (Theophrastus Bombastus), who often used extremely arrogant speaking style. (Wiktionary)