from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Somewhat tumid.
- adj. Becoming swollen; swelling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. swollen or distended with fluid, as of erectile tissue.
- adj. inflated or overblown
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Slightly tumid; swollen, as certain moss capsules.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Swelling; tumefying; forming into a tumor; intumescent.
- In botany, slightly tumid or swollen.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. abnormally distended especially by fluids or gas
Latin tumēscēns, tumēscent-, present participle of tumēscere, to begin to swell, inchoative of tumēre, to swell; see teuə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin tumēscēns ("swelling, bloating") (Wiktionary)