from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A swelling or enlarging.
- n. A swollen condition.
- n. A swollen part or organ.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A swelling due to the presence of fluid.
- n. A swollen bodily organ; used especially of erectile tissue.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of becoming tumid; the state of being swollen; intumescence; -- applied especially to the state of swelling of the vascular tissue in the male and female sex organs when they have been stimulated to readiness for sexual intercourse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of growing tumid; tumefaction.
- n. A swelling, tumid part, or tumor; an intumescence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tumidity resulting from the presence of blood or other fluid in the tissues
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The Liberals let the budget pass, which left the Harper government in office but in a state of political semi-tumescence, which is where it's been since those first days.
For those who know what "tumescence" is, the term makes a lot of sense.
It is tumescence which is the really essential part of the process, and we cannot afford, with Moll, to ignore it altogether.
This description clearly brings out the fundamentally vascular character of the process I have termed "tumescence"; it must be added, however, that in man the nervous elements in the process tend to become more conspicuous, and more or less obliterate these primitive limitations of sexual desire.
Courtship, properly understood, is the process whereby both the male and the female are brought into that state of sexual tumescence which is a more or less necessary condition for sexual intercourse.
The justification for using the term "tumescence," which I here propose, is to be found in the fact that vascular congestion, more especially of the parts related to generation, is an essential preliminary to acute sexual desire.
Viagra and other ED medications help increase male tumescence and enhance performance issues.
Curbishley proceeded to ramp up the levels of tumescence by looking sleek and smooth and – to be frank – insufficiently excited by Transfer Deadline Day despite the huge clock ticking away just beneath his neatly folded hands.
Of course, because the taxpayer has no choice but to cough up, this gangrenous tumescence keeps bulging as the services provided become more emaciated and anaemic.
(For those who weren't at the basketball game, there's another chance when RJ suffers an inopportune bout of tumescence while wearing tights during the school musical.)
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.