from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of swelling or the condition of being swollen.
- n. A swollen organ or body part.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the process of swelling up or the condition of being swollen
- n. an instance of such swelling
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of swelling or enlarging; also, the state of being swollen; expansion; tumidity; especially, the swelling up of bodies under the action of heat.
- n. Anything swollen or enlarged, as a tumor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or process of swelling or enlarging, as with heat; expansion; tumidity.
- n. A swollen or tumid growth or mass; tumefaction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. swelling up with blood or other fluids (as with congestion)
- n. the increase in volume of certain substances when they are heated (often accompanied by release of water)
See intumescent. (Wiktionary)