from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of distending or the state of being distended.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of distending.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of distending; the act of stretching in breadth or in all directions; the state of being Distended.
- n. Breadth; extent or space occupied by the thing distended.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of distending, or the state of being distended; dilatation; a stretching in all directions; inflation: as, the distention of the lungs or stomach.
- n. A stretching in any direction; extension.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of being stretched beyond normal dimensions
- n. the act of expanding by pressure from within
Middle English distensioun, from Old French, from Latin distēnsiō, distēnsiōn-, alteration of distentiō, from distentus, past participle of distendere, to distend; see distend.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)