American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The presence of excessive gas in the digestive tract.
- n. Self-importance; pomposity.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being flatulent, or affected by wind in the stomach or other portion of the alimentary canal; windiness; hence, airiness; emptiness; vanity.
- n. The state of having gas, often malodorous, trapped (and often released, frequently with noise) in the digestive system of a human and some other animals; wind; and when released, a flatus, a fart.
- n. The release of such gas, farting.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or quality of being flatulent.
- n. pompously embellished language
- n. a state of excessive gas in the alimentary canal
- flatulent + -ence, of Latin origin, ultimately flō ("breathe, blow"). (Wiktionary)
“It's true the Thames froze, it's true it changed over the past two centuries and doesn't freeze now, but no, frog flatulence is not the reason why.”
“Sounds like more flatulence from a conservative inbreeder.”
“There was absolutely no way anybody who has followed the Environmentalist Movement couldn't see this coming; a United Nation report now claims that cow flatulence is a major cause of Global Warming.”
“If we can regulate bovine flatulence, how long before human flatulence is regulated and taxed?”
“In the main, flatulence is made up of five gases -- nitrogen and oxygen, which are swallowed while talking, chewing or drinking fizzy beverages, and carbon dioxide, hydrogen and methane, which are produced in the gastrointestinal tract during digestion of food.”
“There are some people who are worthy of response – others who are the equivalent of brain flatulence are not.”
“EXTRALIFE – By Scott Johnson - The #1 name in flatulence odor control products”
“Flat-D, "the #1 name in flatulence odor control for humans and canines," offers products to mask the offending odor.”
“Quite what the Welsh Assembly thought it was going to gain by this piece of flatulence is unclear, but then a lot of that which the Welsh Assembly does strikes one as being otiose: perhaps there is a particularly large and vocal Armenian community in the pretty railway village of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch which is bursting to be propitiated.”
“Someone really needs to invent cyber Beano. jwest’s verbal flatulence is getting embarrassing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘flatulence’.
Life in the ghetto after dark with a knife.
Before you take that medication, you'd better read the warning label.
For words containing at least two instances of the letter E.
... as in "by James Joyce"
Terms used in physiology
spiral cosmic confluence
Big, 'fancy' synonyms for simple concepts. Often scientific or medical terms
Looking for tweets for flatulence.