from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chronic or acute inflammation of the stomach, especially of the mucous membrane of the stomach.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Inflammation of the lining of the stomach, characterised by nausea, loss of appetite, and upper abdominal discomfort or pain.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Inflammation of the stomach, esp. of its mucuos membrane.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, inflammation of the stomach.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. inflammation of the lining of the stomach; nausea and loss of appetite and discomfort after eating
From Ancient Greek γαστήρ (gastēr, "belly") + -itis ("inflammation"). (Wiktionary)