from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Inflammation of a joint, usually accompanied by pain, swelling, and stiffness, and resulting from infection, trauma, degenerative changes, metabolic disturbances, or other causes. It occurs in various forms, such as bacterial arthritis, osteoarthritis, or rheumatoid arthritis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Inflammation of a joint or joints causing pain and/or disability, swelling and stiffness, and due to various causes such as infection, trauma, degenerative changes or metabolic disorders.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any inflammation of the joints, including the gout. A variety of forms of arthritis are recognized, some of which (such as rheumatoid arthritis, also called arthritis deformans and arthritis nodosa) are chronic and progressive, and lead to incapacitation and deformity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Inflammation of a joint.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. inflammation of a joint or joints
_Metastatic arthritis_ is seen more frequently in colts or young animals than in mature horses and we here take the liberty of classifying with the arthritis of omphalophlebitis and strangles the so-called rheumatic variety.
_Rheumatic arthritis_, if one is justified in classifying rheumatic inflammation of joints as a metastatic form of arthritis, is not a common condition, though seen in mature and aged animals.
The commoner types include the _synovitis_ associated with disease in the adjacent bone, _acute arthritis of infants_, joint suppuration in _pyæmia_, _pyogenic arthritis_ following upon penetrating wounds, and the affections which result from _gonorrhœal_ or _pneumococcal_ infection.
The word arthritis comes from the Greek arthron meaning "joint" and the Latin itis meaning
Sorry my English keyboard doesn't do that and my arthritis is acting up enough today that all the necessary Vulcan death pinch keystrokes are out also.
That makes SAMe a reasonable option for long-term arthritis treatment, Dr. Najm says, but not a good choice for acute flare-ups.
We have got e-mail questions about that as well, long-term arthritis?
B. GIB.: You see, arthritis, or whatever we call arthritis, it can be caused by other things.
When people hear the word arthritis, they typically think of elderly people who are candidates for hip or knee replacements.
Raines said that this artificial collagen holds promise as a therapy for conditions such as arthritis, which is caused by a breakdown of the body's natural collagen.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.