American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Chronic or acute inflammation of the mucous membrane of the bronchial tubes.
- n. A disease marked by this inflammation.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, an inflammation of the bronchial membrane. It is a complaint of very frequent occurrence, and may be acute or chronic.—
- n. uncountable An inflammation of the bronchi of the lungs, that causes the cilia of the bronchial epithelial cells to stop functioning.
- n. countable An occurrence of, a case (patient) of, or a type of bronchitis.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) Inflammation, acute or chronic, of the bronchial tubes or any part of them.
- n. inflammation of the membranes lining the bronchial tubes
- Late Latin bronchus, from Ancient Greek βρόγχος (bronchos, "windpipe") + -itis. (Wiktionary)
“It is chiefly in the throat what they call bronchitis and she has got to be very weak with it, and at the same time very liable to inflammation.”
“Worsening breathlessness forced him to retire as a laborer, and he has sought emergency care for what he calls bronchitis twice in the past year.”
“The bronchitis is on the mend, and my brain is back to almost working properly.”
“What gives it to the minister is talking solemnly when they don't feel that way, and it has the same influence upon the organs of speech that it would have upon the cords of the calves of your legs to walk on your tip-toes, and so I call bronchitis "parsonitis.”
“She said his long-term bronchitis problems were likely to blame, but test results will not be ready until Wednesday.”
“It can cause scarring, and it can cause a condition known as bronchitis obliterands (ph).”
“And that's different from an inflammation of your bronchioles, for example, called bronchitis, or just a sore throat, for example.”
“It is also called bronchitis or feline bronchial disease.”
“Mary Sheppard made sure her husband gained weight after he had what has been described as bronchitis last fall.”
“She described a persistent headache and "bronchitis" symptoms in 1989 that "wouldn't go away.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bronchitis’.
of or relating to air passages
Words for the respirationist.
Looking for tweets for bronchitis.