American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Inflammation of one or both of the testes, often occurring as a result of mumps or other infection, trauma, or metastasis.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, inflammation of the testis. Also orchiditis.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) Inflammation of the testicles.
- n. inflammation of one or both testes; characterized by pain and swelling
- orchi- (“testicular”) + -itis (“inflammation”), from Ancient Greek ὄρχις (orkhis, "testicle, ovary, orchid") (English orchid), from Proto-Indo-European *h₃erǵʰi-. (Wiktionary)
- Greek orkhis, testicle + -itis. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Swollen testicles, a complication called orchitis, can lead to sterility, but much more rarely than once was believed.”
“Rohleder believes that the bad results of sexual abstinence are never permanent, and also that no anatomically pathological states (such as orchitis) can be thereby produced.”
“The parotid on one or both sides may suddenly become swollen and tender in patients who are taking large doses of mercury, in gouty subjects, or in patients suffering from infective conditions of the genito-urinary organs, such as orchitis, ovaritis, urethritis, or cystitis.”
“Mumps can also infect testicles and cause a disease known as orchitis.”
“Some men with orchitis were found to be sterile after the infection resolved.”
“I'm just trying to figure out how this would play before everybody got orchitis.”
“Dried, powdered bark is used against leprosy, orchitis, rheumatism, dermatosis and fever and to heal wounds, while the leaves are used to treat head, eye, ear and tooth troubles, or as a bath for the treatment of migraine and vertigo.”
“Because when Nick was fourteen, he caught mumps, complicated by orchitis.”
“There were random cases of foul foot, inverted eyelid and scurfy ear, and one of the bulls was so afflicted with orchitis that he walked with a straddling gait, lest his geranium red testicles sound a painful gong against his thighs.”
“In boys, orchitis, or inflammation of the testicles, occasionally occur.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘orchitis’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
I'm wading through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels one by one, and someday, I'll wade through them again and list all the words I learned while reading them.
Edit: I started ma...
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
Looking for tweets for orchitis.