American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A varicose condition of veins of the spermatic cord or the ovaries, forming a soft tumor.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tumor in the scrotum, composed of the varicosed veins of the spermatic cord. The term was employed by the older medical writers to designate also a varicose condition of the scrotal veins.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) A varicose enlargement of the veins of the spermatic cord; also, a like enlargement of the veins of the scrotum.
- n. dilatation of the veins associated with the spermatic cord in the testes
- varico- + -cele (Wiktionary)
- varico- + -cele1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Sustained significant poor growth of the left testis associated with a varicocele is less common than was previously expected.”
“One of the most common genital conditions found in men is called varicocele, which results when a vein outside the scrotum becomes dilated and enlarged, similar to varicose veins in the legs.”
“• Androgen deficiency: Abnormally dilated testicular veins called varicocele, which affect 15% of men after puberty, were associated with significantly lower testosterone levels, or androgen deficiency.”
“One of the most common causes of male infertility is a condition called varicocele.”
“A varicocele is a condition where the veins (blood vessels) in the scrotum are enlarged and dilated (widened).”
“Although our examination of the body mass index did not show any significant difference compared to controls, subsequent studies have corroborated our height findings in addition to the theory that increased BMI is protective of varicocele presence.”
“In those cases of sustained poor growth, a microscopic subinguinal varicocele repair yields excellent (95%) success rates.”
“A Children's Hospital of Philadelphia patient database tracks the varicocele size and symptoms and testicular volumes over time with follow-up semen analyses as young adults.”
“Patients with a varicocele are significantly taller than age-matched controls.”
“The research, published in BJU International, also found that surgical correction of varicocele significantly increased testosterone levels in 70% of patients.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘varicocele’.
My Favorite Words
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
Terms used in physiology
Looking for tweets for varicocele.