from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A coelenterate, such as a hydra or coral, having a cylindrical body and an oral opening usually surrounded by tentacles.
- n. A usually nonmalignant growth or tumor protruding from the mucous lining of an organ such as the nose, bladder, or intestine, often causing obstruction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an abnormal growth protruding from a mucous membrane
- n. a cylindrical coelenterate, such as the hydra, having a mouth surrounded with tentacles
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the feeding or nutritive zooids of a hydroid or coral.
- n. One of the Anthozoa.
- n. Same as anthozoa. See anthozoa, madreporaria, hydroid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology, an animal with many feet or foot-like processes,
- n. In pathology, same as polypus, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small vascular growth on the surface of a mucous membrane
- n. one of two forms that coelenterates take (e.g. a hydra or coral): usually sedentary with a hollow cylindrical body usually with a ring of tentacles around the mouth
A vocal cord polyp is a small swelling in the mucous membranes covering the vocal cords.
You are likewise to abstain from beans, from the preak, by some called the polyp, as also from coleworts, cabbage, and all other such like windy victuals, which may endanger the troubling of your brains and the dimming or casting a kind of mist over your animal spirits.
Respect democracy and name the polyp Colbert! anon.
For abortion supporters of the 'clump of cells' variety, I compare this to watching a colonoscopy, where a clump of cells called a polyp is removed.
HD imaging enabled us to scrutinize the pattern of the polyp, which is very informative, and determine that it was not cancerous.
A polyp is a small, usually benign noncancerous growth in the lining of the uterus.
She said the reflux could only partially explain the hoarseness and that she thinks the polyp is the primary culprit.
The Actinozoa have already been described as formed on the type of the sea-anemone and the coral polyp, that is, they are all animals with a radiate structure, attached to one end, and having their only opening at the other end, which is surrounded by tentacles.
Vaziri said colon cancer starts with these polyps, and removal of the polyp is the best way to prevent this type of cancer.
A polyp is a growth of tissue that develops on the lining of the colon or rectum.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.