from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An abnormal increase in the number of cells in an organ or a tissue with consequent enlargement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An increase in the size of a tissue or organ due to increased number of cells.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An increase in, or excessive growth of, the normal elements of any part.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, overgrowth of a part due to multiplication of its cells; excessive cell-reproduction. Compare hypertrophy, 1.
- n. In botany, an abnormal increase in the volume of cells, due to their unusual multiplication. Compare hypoplasia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. abnormal increase in number of cells
hyper- + -plasia (Wiktionary)