American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- The world's largest continent. It occupies the eastern part of the Eurasian landmass and its adjacent islands and is separated from Europe by the Ural Mountains.
- n. A continent located east of Europe, west of the Pacific Ocean, north of Oceania and south of the Arctic Ocean.
- n. historical A province of the Roman Empire located in what is now western Turkey.
- n. A female given name of modern usage, from the continent.
- n. the nations of the Asian continent collectively
- n. the largest continent with 60% of the earth's population; it is joined to Europe on the west to form Eurasia; it is the site of some of the world's earliest civilizations
- From Ancient Greek Ἀσία (Asia), from Mycenaean Greek a-si-wi-ya (aswiyā) ‘Aššuwan’, adjective from Hittite Aššuwa ‘northwest Anatolia’. (Wiktionary)
“ASIA AND THE OTHER seeks to revisit issues taken up by earlier postcolonialist theorists with a different geopolitical focus; reexamine and update theoretical apparatuses often adopted in the discussions of the Self/Other issue, employing the realities of Asia, past and present, as examples; and stimulate conversations regarding the tensions or mutual productivity in cross-cultural, cross-national encounters.”
“ On this point see the very interesting essay by Meredith Townsend entitled "The Charm of Asia for Asiatics," in his book _Asia and”
“If you wished to say that something happened in Asia, it would not suffice to use the simple ablative, because that form would have the same pronunciation as the nominative or the accusative, Asia (m), but the preposition must be prefixed, _in Asia_.”
“EM ASIA DEBT-Woori rises in debut in firm Asia market”
“The French geographers in like manner be of the same opinion, as by their map cut out in form of a heart you may perceive as though the West Indies were part of Asia, which sentence well agreeth with that old conclusion in the schools, _Quid-quid praeter Africum et Europam est_, _Asia est_,”
“The addition of Instinet's CBX ASIA platform broadens Thomson Reuters desktop and transaction capabilities across Asia in a rapidly growing part of the electronic trading market.”
“DW-TV Asia+ has '18 hours of primetime English specifically for Indians' vis-a-vis its counterpart DW-TV Asia, which has 16 hours of German content, she said.”
“DW-TV was keen to focus on Asia and within Asia certain regions like India and so they decided to go ahead with the new channel DW-TV Asia+, 'Amrita Cheema, a spokersperson for DW-TV, told IANS in an interview.”
“We are pleased to offer our clients access to CBX ASIA through our trading platform as we remain fully committed to providing the broadest selection of liquidity in Asia and globally, ensuring that our clients have a unique and dynamic edge when accessing trading venues".”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Asia’.
Names of progressive / art / psychedelic / baroque rock bands. Non-Anglo-Saxon bands of supernational fame are also listed as long as their name is English.
Looking for tweets for Asia.