from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The hydrolytic breakdown of proteins into simpler, soluble substances such as peptides and amino acids, as occurs during digestion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The hydrolysis of proteins into peptides and amino acids; especially as part of the digestion of food.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The digestion or dissolving of proteid matter by proteolytic ferments.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The change effected in proteids during their digestion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the hydrolysis of proteins into peptides and amino acids by cleavage of their peptide bonds
Sorry, no etymologies found.