from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The expectoration of blood or of blood-streaked sputum from the larynx, trachea, bronchi, or lungs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. expectoration (coughing up) of blood
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The expectoration of blood, due usually to hemorrhage from the mucous membrane of the lungs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, spitting of blood: usually restricted to the raising of blood from the lungs. Also hæmoptoë.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. coughing up blood from the respiratory tract; usually indicates a severe infection of the bronchi or lungs
hemo- + Greek ptusis, a spitting (from ptuein, to spit).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)