from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sexually transmitted disease caused by gonococcal bacteria that affects the mucous membrane chiefly of the genital and urinary tracts and is characterized by an acute purulent discharge and painful or difficult urination, though women often have no symptoms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An STD caused by a species of bacteria (the gonococcus) that affects the mucous membrane of the genital and urinary tracts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A contagious inflammatory disease of the genitourinary tract, affecting especially the urethra and vagina, and characterized by a mucopurulent discharge, pain in urination, and chordee; clap.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathol., a. specific, contagious, muco-purulent inflammation of the male urethra or the female vagina and urethra. It may also be communicated to the conjunctival and rectal mucous membranes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a common venereal disease caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae; symptoms are painful urination and pain around the urethra
In the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Old Testament, the word gonorrhea is used for this discharge verses 4–13.
A gonorrhea, which is a specific acute inflammation of the urethral canal, leaves behind it
Other sexually transmitted disease (STD) infections, such as gonorrhea and chlamydia, pose a problem in porn as well.
Unlike other sexually spread diseases, such as gonorrhea or chlamydia, syphilis can eventually ravage the mind and kill if left untreated.
"But we have persistent reports that that is not the case," he said, adding his department receives an average of 15 reports a week from the Adult Industry Medical Healthcare Foundation of actors testing positive for other sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea and chlamydia.
The CDC also claims that the prevalence among teenage girls may actually be higher than their report indicates, as the study fails to include sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea, HIV and syphilis.
In itself, male circumcision provides little or no protection against urethral STDs such as gonorrhea and chlamydia and certainly cannot prevent unwanted pregnancies.
One is that other sexually transmitted diseases, such as gonorrhea, often go untreated in poor countries.
From the fact that the he-witch clapped, we’re meant to believe that Dean is able to infer that Sam’s got an instant case of “the clap” aka gonorrhea, even though Sam has yet to experience frequent and painful urination.
Common sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea and chlamydia don't cause ulcers, but syphilis, herpes, chanchroid do (as do other diseases, but they are not common in the U.S.).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.