from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The capital and largest city of Bulgaria, in the west-central part of the country. Originally a Thracian settlement, it passed over the centuries to Rome, Byzantium, two Bulgarian kingdoms, Ottoman Turkey, and Russia. In 1879 it became the capital of independent Bulgaria. During World War II the city was occupied by German forces. It was liberated (1944) by the Soviets, who installed a Communist government. Sofia is the leading commercial, industrial, and transportation center of Bulgaria. Population: 1,130,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The capital city of Bulgaria
- proper n. A female given name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. capital and largest city of Bulgaria located in western Bulgaria
May 11th, 2010 SOFIA - World champion Viswanathan Anand retained his title by winning a thrilling 12th and final game and beating Veselin Topalov in 57 moves with black pieces in Sofia Tuesday.
EP's Van Orden hints Bulgarian nuclear plant issue may not be resolved SOFIA, Bulgaria -- The European Parliament's (EP) rapporteur for Bulgaria, Geoffrey Van Orden, said in Sofia on Tuesday (January 2nd) that the EP mig ...
(SOFIA) - Bulgarian Prime Minister Sergey Stanishev left on Wednesday for Moscow and Kiev for gas crisis talks, as Russian supplies to Sofia were halted for a ninth day due to a spat between Russia and Ukraine.
SOFIA - An anti-government demonstration in Sofia turned violent Wednesday, with protesters clashing with police and hurling stones and bottles at the Parliament building.
Associated Press CHAIRS UP: Sofia University students carried chairs on their heads during a protest Monday in Sofia, Bulgaria, against higher-education budget cuts.
Pierre Marsaut/Zuma Press STUDENTS PROTEST: Bulgarian students protested Thursday in Sofia, Bulgaria, against cuts in state funding for higher education.
Now, Sofia is a terrific director/writer in her own right but acting in front of the camera may not the best option.
Also I will be staying with a friend in Sofia and seeing the sights of the capital city.
The next day I went and ate Indian food in Sofia which was a welcome change from the same old same old that I normally make and eat and caught a bus back to Sandanski.
- Attended a business conference for high schoolers in Sofia
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.