from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. this sense?) (countable) A costume that imitates a (usually fictional) character, especially from Japanese media (such as manga, anime, tokusatsu, video games, and Japanese pop music bands).
- n. this sense?) (uncountable) The subculture centered on people wearing such costumes.
- n. The art or practice of costuming oneself as a (usually fictional) character.
- n. this sense?) A skit or instance of such play.
- v. To costume oneself as (a character).
Translation of Japanese コスプレ (kosupure), which is a contraction of コスチュームプレイ (kosuchūmu purei), a Japanese borrowing from English meaning costume play. (Wiktionary)