American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Scraps or bits of paper, such as the perforated edges of paper for tractor feed printers or the tiny rectangles punched out from data cards.
- n. One of these scraps or bits of paper.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An obsolete form of shad. The name in Cornwall, England, of the young of the common sea-bream, Pagellus centrodontus.
- n. A dry twig: same as chat.
- n. Dry, bushy fragments found among food. [Prov. Eng. in both senses, usually in plural.]
- n. uncountable Small pieces of paper punched out from the edges of continuous stationery, punched cards, paper tape etc.
- n. countable One of these pieces of paper.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete See shad.
- n. a lake in north central Africa; fed by the Shari river
- n. a family of Afroasiatic tonal languages (mostly two tones) spoken in the regions west and south of Lake Chad in north central Africa
- n. a small piece of paper that is supposed to be removed when a hole is punched in a card or paper tape
- n. a landlocked desert republic in north-central Africa; was under French control until 1960
- Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Graham notes that the noun was then construed as plural, on the analogy of chaff, but today’s ballot counters are referring to chads, construing the word chad as singular.”
“| Reply sit back with some hot tea and a good video game and let the healing begin chad attack”
“BECK: And I think you had a theory that you called chad buildup, right?”
“” But according to Peter Graham, now university librarian at Syracuse, who served early in his career as a keypunch operator, “We had what we called a chad box underneath the key punch.”
“In 2000, it was "chad" -- as in the hanging chads of Florida, which played a central role in the tight race between Al Gore and George W. Bush.”
“I wonder if you think 51 is too old hi my name is chad and I am calling from charlotte”
“Linda Evans [who did quality control for Sequoia for more than seven years] recalls the chad testing of ballots manufactured for the 2000 election.”
“Mayor's race is hanging by a chad was the previous entry in this blog.”
“Mayor's race is hanging by a chad is the next entry in this blog.”
“And then, what you would do, is you would find the punches went not through the so-called chad, but through the number.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chad’.
Buzzwords of our time
Words about Algeria, etc.
Given names that were acceptable for play the last time I checked the OWL.
So you just came to wordie and are thoroughly confused? Me too. Here's a place to list all of those repeating references along with a link to the original joke. Because wordie's too cool to keep...
Words listed as "origin unknown."
Country names which happen to be acceptable for play during a game of Scrabble.
Formerly "Conversations dontcry and frindley AND whichbe and reesetee AND Prolagus might be missing".
A myriad of game-changing words every Scrabble addict must have in his arsenal.
Keep in mind that these are all tried-and-true feasibly playable words selected for their handiness, i.e...
Mostly awful and political.
information campaign, enemy combatant, person of interest, collateral damage, friendly fire, detention centre, children overboard, asylum seeker, health care, national interest, economic management, redeployment and 114 more...
A couple of years ago on Wordie, I made the list Pseudorandom words. Let's see how the Wordnik random words compare: no panvocalics, more adverbs, more hyphenated words (or maybe I excluded them th...
Looking for tweets for chad.